Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Parable of the Lion Caretaker


Photo Credit: BYU Memes
​So I was teaching a (pretend--training) investigator yesterday, when the Spirit brought a great analogy to me. I don't know if it will translate so well outside the lesson, but here goes.

 The man's life work was helping a big wildlife park in Zimbabwe, to keep all those wonderful species of animals safe.

What Greg does is save animals. He save wonderful, loving creatures in this beautiful, jaw-dropping world from all the evils that would try and ruin them. In short, he's a keeper of animals. He takes upon him a little, tiny shard of one roles of this earth when he goes to that park; that role of caretaker. He herds them into the safety of the park which will keep them safe from the many poachers that roam the savannah. He does his best to put them in an environment with water, with shade, and with friends. When a problem arises within the park, he expels it by removing the troublemaker. He is able to save animals.

What I do, as a missionary, is save souls. I save wonderful, loving creatures in this beautiful, jaw-dropping world from all the evils that would try and ruin them. I take upon me a little, tiny shard of one of the roles of Christ when I put His name on my chest, and that is the role of shepherd. I have the opportunity to be a keeper of souls. I herd them into the safety of the Gospel which will keep them safe from the many poachers that roam the safari. I will do my best to put them in an environment with love, with support, with the Spirit, and with friends. When a problem arises within their safety, in the form of doubt, I expel it by answering their questions with the truth. I, through the power of the Holy Ghost (because don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing I could do right without the Holy Ghost), am able to save souls. The same way that Greg will be able to save thousands of lions by saving the posterity of two, I have the opportunity to help thousands by changing the course of someone's posterity. 

I can tell you for a fact that a Lion will not always want to be corralled into his new environment. It's a lot of change, and it's a tight squeeze for a while. Plus, from his perspective the Lion has everything:

He's got the ability to run as quickly as anything he's ever seen.
He's got the ability to provide for himself with ease.
He's got the ability to roar the mightiest of roars.
He is the king of his world.

All in all, he's a successful fellow. But, that doesn't matter if there's no food for him to eat. The Lion needs an environment which can sustain his needs. He'll be able to keep running that wonderful run, roaring that wonderful roar, for a while, but eventually he'll run out of steam. That Lion is us.

We can get achieve as much as anything we've ever seen.
We can accomplish astounding things with relative ease.
We can make our mark on the Earth, a mightier mark than any other animal can.
We are the kings of this world.

All in all, we're a successful bunch of chaps. But, that doesn't matter if there's no spiritual food for us to eat. We need an environment which can uplift us continually. We'll be able to keep on progressing in our career, making our mark on the Earth, for a while, but eventually we'll run out of steam. We need to be shipped to a better spiritual environment, even if the trip there is a little uncomfortable and very foreign. We need to get ourselves in those gates where we have a whole set of staff to take care of us, make sure all our spiritual needs are met. We need to leave the safari we know and love, to move to a place safe from starvation, and safe from poachers. That place is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know this is true. I know it because throughout my own life, I've lived within and without the 'park'. The only time all my needs have been met is when I'm inside that park. It is absolutely imperative for the glory and well-being of every soul that they come towards Christ, our Savior, even if that venture means leaving behind the environment we love and are comfortable with. This is my testimony, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Lion at Wildlife Safari
​1. I've been getting along with everybody a lot better. Lots of prayers for humility, patience, and charity have helped a lot. (It isn't easy living with a dozen boys! Spencer is very laid back though and hard on himself, don't worry, he just doesn't want to get annoyed with people)

2. So since getting to the MTC I've gained ~5 lbs I think... maybe just 3. 165 right now.

3. So apparently dear elder takes like 2 days to get here, because I have your email that says you sent me that email and I think you sent it yesterday and I still don't have it. Just FYI
4. I Love the new garage!!! So much space :) It's great to see dad & Tori spend some good time together.

4b. I CANT BELIEVE TORI IS 16!!!! Happy birthday sis!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Eddie should take her on a date haha Eddie's the bomb man!

5. MTC has been pretty MTC-ish the last week, haha. It's still good and I'm learning alot, but I'm slowly going crazyyy haha

6. No photos today... I was gonna take a bunch of pictures of all my buddies at the temple but I forgot my camera........ sorry... :/

7. A couple days ago it started pouring down rain right at the end of personal study time, and everybody ran out into the rain. (he is a little OCD haha) Most of our whole zone was out there running around. I stayed inside, as it's not in my nature to get wet, but everybody enjoyed it quite a bit.

8. We set a district goal to get 20 contacts/companionship every day this week, and it's been great so far. Even when 90% of our contacts are missionaries, it's good practice for my Spanish and uplifts all parties.

9. The Spanish is coming along. We learn the final grammar concept this week/the start of next week, then just review. My vocabulary is still pretty tiny but I'm tryin haha. Maestro (teacher) Holman cooked up a test for us to take so now I know which concepts I need to practice the most. 


No comments:

Post a Comment