Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Boyfriend and Girlfriend Miracles!

Received the care package brought back by a wonderful member who'd come to the US for General Conference =D  Candy, jerky, new pants that fit and...

COMPANION TIES!




Photobomber

D is an awesome little guy


Hey everyone!

The life's been great here in Costa Rica. Lots of walking :-). I have been having a blast these last few days here with Elder Acuña. We get along way too well haha.

I've honestly felt really blessed these days -- Especially today. A couple silly things happened that made us lose some P-day time, which a lot of times would have really really frustrated me, but I have just felt a warm peace in my heart today. A peace that goes a lot deeper than what happens on a day to day basis. Just like John 14:26 (Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.) teaches us :) it's just so true! The peace that the Spirit brings us, that Christ gives us, doesn't depend on mortal conditions.

We have seen some serious miracles in the boyfriend (and girlfriend) department this week hahaha. We had started to teach a couple boy/girlfriends of members, and it's been really fruitful.

Our investigator is just a super good guy. You can tell it just by looking at him! When we went with him for the first time, we talked about the blessings that are waiting him behind the covenant of baptism and it was great. He's engaged with his girlfriend (is there a word for boyfriends and girlfriends who are engaged?), and we were able to promise them blessings in their future marriage and the ability to have an eternal marriage if they did the right things :). 

But when we went with him the second time, he opened up a little bit more. He told us about how he used to be super poor, and while he never was a drug addict that he lived among them, and how he felt depressed and hopeless, without reason to live. Then he explained how his girlfriend came into his life, and how he's felt so blessed. Nowadays he is working super hard to get the money to move to a little better part of town, and really change his life. I love how he talks about baptism -- He says that it's not for us or for his girlfriend, but it's because he's looking to have a better life and he's felt that difference in the (our) Church. He's such a good guy -- words can't explain it. And I am so blessed to be able to help him bring more blessings into his life, explaining to him the Gospel of Jesus Christ and helping him make covenants with God. I'm so excited for the day when he can have the Spirit to be with him always -- that same peace that I've felt so warmly today.

The mission is full of miracles. We missionaries get just as many miracles as we put effort in to receive (well, really, I suppose that's true for everyone!), which is awesome, because all I've gotta do is try a little harder and -boom- I see more miracles! They're not usually in confounding somebody, or bringing down buildings or other grand miracles that we read of in the scriptures, but just the warmth that blossoms in my chest as I see beloved children of God come to the church on Sunday is a miracle -- and it comes from God.

I testify that this is the True Church of God. I testify that it is the Church of Jesus Christ. And I don't preach this message to contend, or condemn, or anything like that! I tell this to everyone so that they can have the increased peace that I've had as I live up to the covenants that I've made. And nothing makes me happier than seeing that happiness come to someone else.

I love you all, I testify that this is the way to find more happiness, and I hope you are all well. Thank you for your prayers, I feel them strengthening me daily. Have a great week!

-Elder Henry
This week we've seen like 3 or 4 buses in crashes, which is a little rare. Here, one bus got in a (minor) crash but they couldn't move before waiting for the police, so the other bus hopped on the curb to get around the crash haha.

 
Comp and doggy


A nice little stream here. (people just kind of connect pvc pipes until it gushes into some sort of gutter or stream here for sewage haha) (enjoy your First World problems, readers!)

1 comment:

  1. Fiance' is the word -- Good work, Elder Henry.
    I love reading of your joy in missionary work.

    ReplyDelete