Monday, March 14, 2016

German.

 86 Painting! In missionary clothes! (oops :)
 Sunday Photo :)
89 Yuca! Oh, how I love yuca...
  
88 That's a lot of papaya!
 
 103 Mexican Bread! (Forgot to take a picture after we baked it..)
 104 District Guácimo!
 112 Baby birds! (yigüirro, the national bird of Costa Rica)
79 Our new pet bear, Korihor, with my keychain missionary attire :)

84 Nightmares of spongebob
Hey everyone!

This week was a great one here in Guacimo! Lots of wonderful experiences and long awaited progress with our investigators.

I especially want to share about German. I love German so much.

So my first days we walked to this area really far away called the selva. We had basically nothing there, there's only 1 member that lives there, and 0 Less actives to work with. So I was like, uhhh, no, let's not work here. But my companion wanted to visit someone who wasn't there that day, German.

So we went back another day, and he still wasn't there.

3rd time, I told my comp that we would pray and tell God that if he didn't indicate us otherwise, we were going to stop working there.

Well, He indicated us to keep working there!

We found German, and I understood why my companion didn't want to drop him.

In a short time period, German's mom died, he got separated from his wife who took his adopted child away, he lost his job, and people got into his house and robbed him. It was so sad to hear all that, but it was obvious how it had humbled him to really make the gospel something important in his life, We could feel the Spirit so much and feel so much love for him, and we decided to keep going to the selva.

But, German had never gone to church! Since the only clothes he had were shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops, he didn't want to go to church like that. So, after many lessons and many great experiences with him, yesterday he finally had bought clothes and went to church. And you can just see how his life's getting better. He feels better, he's happier, everything getting back to normal for him. I love seeing the gospel work in people's lives.

Real growth isn't about numbers or statistics. It's about the conversion of people, one by one, to Christ. I just love the people here in Guacimo. 

I hope everyone can feel that their relationship with the Lord grows in this coming week.

I love you all! Have a great week :)

-Elder Henry

EH: Mom I talked with the bishop in Paso Ancho today and Paso Ancho is doing SOO GOOD! I'm so happy :-) last week they had an attendance of 144! Remember that when I got there, it was like 95!
I am just so so happy haha I love Paso Ancho so much.
And Guacimo too! The attendance has been really good here. Did I tell you that they're about to toss the chapel and make a new one? Honestly I'm having difficulty taking pictures here. I don't know what to take pictures of.
LH: People, the buildings, stores, normal stuff. So you can remember it when you get home, especially when you get old and everything blurs together.
EH: Ok, the same as neily, listo :)
LH:
Are there mountains about in Guacimo too? Do you get to go do exchanges around your district, and where are the borders of it? Who are your zone leaders, is one Elder Moss? If so, he will be at BYU with you guys too. =)
EH: Yeah Elder Moss is one
 Mountains not really. And my district is just sisters haha so no divisions.
LH:  Ohhhhh gotcha. There are only sisters in Guapiles, no Elders? I didn't know this...You named the poor bear Korihor??
EH:Yeah cuz they ran over it hahaha

My district isn't all of Guapiles, its us 4 in Guacimo and the 4 missionaries in the Pococi ward (part of Guapiles). But the ZL don't count.
LH: Ah I understand. Well, as much as I can, not being there and seeing the areas hehe
EH: The sisters in the district are way good. I'm so happy I live in the era of 19 year old sisters.

Elder Henry's nephew Jordan
EH: Cutest baby ever award :)
LH: I know right? He's just adorable!!!!
It's so weird that the Hermanas are home and back in school and stuff already! Poor things =(
Dude you look super skinny! How are you eating?
EH: I'm eating good! And I feel really good. I haven't weighed myself but I don't think I'm losing weight here. But I did lose like 15 or 20 pounds in Zona Sur, so it oughta be that still.
LH: Ahhh that must be it. I didn't get many full body pictures of you there, mostly selfies, so I didn't know you were so skinny. All the heat really took it off huh? 
EH: Yeah lots of heat and mostly just a lack of food down there since everyone's poor haha I mean I ate a lot more there and everything but you're not in the house with food to eat all day. I'm trying to eat a lot here, and I really like being with Elder Vazquez because we eat lots of fruits, too. :)
LH: Yummy fresh Costa Rica fruit =D
Do you eat with members often? Do you guys have a cook there? 
EH: Yeah we have a cook and on Sundays we eat on a member. and twice a week a member gives us gallo pinto for breakfast :) yummmmm (today we ate gallo pinto)
LH: Gallo Pinto--I AM SO JEALOUS!
Haha no I'm just glad you are getting food. You gained in San Ramon from all the food an exercise, but now you look like a Greenie Elder Henry again!
EH: Haha yeah. I hope I gain a little bit by the time I end. Right now I'm trying to find who can help me download some P90X videos, to kick that morning exercise up a notch ;-) Oh so I've been reading John's revelation. I love it so much. I'm gonna have an artist in Paso Ancho (the member who did the emblem for the district) make a bookmark based off some  of its symbolism :)
 I don't know if a 12 eyed sheep will look cool, but we'll figure something out haha
 Oh and I got the package with nutella and garments and socks! The photos were great :) and the socks are way comfy

No comments:

Post a Comment