Monday, April 4, 2016

Tribute to Brother Townsend, updates, personal revelation in the temple



Temple trip!



One of our ward members passed away this week who is a special friend of Elder Henry's. This is what he had to say about Norm Townsend, who happened to not be able to see with his eyes but saw so much with his other senses! We will miss him.
I think that Brother Townsend is one of my favorite people to think of. I have just the sweetest memories of him.

He's always been special for me, because he taught my Primary class! I remember so clearly our fear to whisper to each other in class, for Brother Townsend had some mighty ears which could hear whatever faint whisper we uttered.

Then, as a young man, I remember when it was my turn to pass the Sacrament to the front row. Brother Townsend would always be there, waiting for me to guide his hand to that blessed bread and water. He would always take it gently and put it in his mouth as he said to me "thank you." I don't think there was a single time that I gave him the Sacrament that he didn't say thank you.

A few years later, I continued giving him the Sacrament in his home, when it was difficult for him to get to church. I have such fond memories of visiting the Townsend's home. I think that the person who left those visits most edified was me.

It is so sweet for me to think that I had the opportunity to serve someone who, when I was just a child, had served me. I feel so sure, personally, that he is now enjoying his wait in Spirit Paradise, waiting till the day when we will be able to capture all the splendid colors of the universe with our Heavenly Father.
(now for his normal email)

OH! Our investigator talked with his girlfriend. They are living and are going to live the law of chastity! :) But he didn't come to church :( but yeah he's a lot better!

      We went to the temple and I prayed about my major. I think it's going to have something to do with med school. Medicine or Biology or doctory stuff. I feel like it was really special how God gave me that revelation. I was just sitting there praying and started to really analyze for the first time the different things that interested me and my patriarchal blessing. And I remember several phrases in my patriarchal blessing that showed that that type of major was the way that I could satisfy my interests while complying with what God wants me to do with my time. And the only reason I didn't want to study it is being it'd be tough. Figured that's a bad excuse.

     We were really excited because a lot of people had committed to come to conference. As always, lots of them didn't end up coming, but what's more important is the one who did come. We've been teaching her for a while and it's been wonderful to see the change in her attitude. The first time she didn't really want to even receive us and this week was the first time ever she committed to do something -- Go to church! We got to her house, and she and her little daughter were all ready and waiting to go. She's reading more and, very importantly, understanding more what she reads, and it's just wonderful to see the gospel working in her heart. Especially since, walking at her pace, it took a full hour to get to the chapel. It was a true show of her faith.

     Apart from that, members invited some family members and friends to church, who we'll go and teach and baptize :) so it was a good week and I feel that God is blessing us. I've always said it and I think I will always say it, but I feel like Elder Vazquez is teaching me how to love the people more. When I think of our investigators that we're teaching, I love them and know I have the purest desires for them to come unto Christ. And that feels good.

     I'm really grateful to be a District Leader and be with Elder Vazquez. I feel like it helps me solidify the lessons I've learned in the mission as I formalize them and teach them to others.

Oh Mom I need you to do me a favor.  I had totally forgotten about this but our Branch President in the MTC told us that when we had 2 changes left, we should have our parents send us pages 284-286 of the book "Other Side Of Heaven". Can you do that for me? :) (if you have this book, please let me know--we do not own it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment